Sunday, April 29, 2007

smelling the flowers

life has been good, in general. perhaps a slower pace of life suits us all sometimes. like what T\itus said, youths today are trying too hard to live up to expectations imposed upon them by the society, that we hardly take time to smell the flowers and pursue the things that we really wanted to do with our lives.

I thank God for this 8-month long respite. I supposed this holiday or imposed break has allowed me to pursue some of the things which I've been wanting to do for a long time - experimenting with designer tool G\imp, Japanese lessons (at least I can speak and write some decent foreign lang hurhur) and reading the newspapers for endless hours especially during the weekends, researching on topics which I've been wanting to find out about since like a thousand years ago but never had the time to do it (Nietszche, the Ma'at, Hammurabi etc).

work has been good in an enriching way, albeit tiring and tending to end at 7+ pm late into the evening. colleagues call me "xiao mei" there because i think i'm really the youngest there (and like what one colleague said, "you're even younger than my sister lor"). they have been feeding me with snacks and sweets etc etc. nice sinful indulgence haha. not to mention that h\ong l\im food centre has loads of yummy food that makes for delightful lunches.

books that seduce me:
1. The World Is Flat - Thomas Friedman
2. The Undercover Economist - Tim Harford
3. Freakonomics (have been meaning to get this for a long time but well, i never got down to doing it either)
4. He Chose The Nails - Max Lucado

after the essay I wrote today, i wondered if i should have engaged in a macro discussion of legal paternalism in Singapore, apart from delving into the issue directly at hand. well..

listened to the sermon on the passage of Ephesians 6, namely the helmet of salvation that God has provided as part of the armour. According to guys, the helmet is one of the things (or, the main thing)which makes them feel stupid. haha. however, I suppose after this sermon, I have a better understanding and appreciation of the figurative meaning of the helmet - as a spiritual protection for the most essential part of the body, our minds - which the devil has been trying to gain a stronghold over.

looking forward to the coming week.
see going to work as going to church, where your labour is worship to God - Ps K\hong

No comments: